Tuesday, June 15, 2010
“SURVIVOR: THE AMERICAN COLLEGE PROFESSOR ON TODAY’S CAMPUS!” Symptoms
SYMPTOMS OF CUTS
How have the departmental cuts and changes affected you? How are you feeling the pinch? What’s changed in your daily modus operandi?
Do you feel like
• your comfort zone has been disrupted?
• you experience more disappointments and rejections than usual?
• there are delays in your timetable that throw off your “to-do” list?
• you are under more stress and pressure than before?
• there are challenges to your character with new temptations?
How are you responding to these hits and difficulties? You have a choice in your response: either “negative and destructive” OR “positive and constructive.”
How do you want to leave this island when the rescue team arrives? Better or worse for the experience than when you entered? Or like the end of Lost, totally confused!
Whether you have experienced this professional drought or these limitations previously or any of these metaphors is irrelevant; it’s how you respond to this one that matters. You can be a role model for your colleagues and set a positive example OR drag them down with you. It’s YOUR CHOICE! Consider your options in my next blog. You can weigh the negative responses against the positive ones and then decide your course.
COPYRIGHT © 2010 Ronald A. Berk, LLC